• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hung Parliament

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PepperBell

Apr 6, 2024
Marks & Sparks
Labour will win, people will quickly hate sir Keir just as much as Richi as no one actually likes him they only want someone different.

I agree. There will be a pool of voters who will vote for that reason and then quickly turn on him if he doesn't deliver on his promises quickly enough. Unfortunately for Labour, after 14 yrs of the Tories people are fed up and want to see change and they want it NOW. I am reading bits of Labours manifesto when I have the time (and can be bothered) and I've already noticed there is barely any information about Labours plans for the welfare system. There are no plans by Labour to reverse the 2 child benefit cap that the tories introduced and we don't know where Labour stand on the tories proposals to replace PIP cash payments with vouchers. Similarly, I haven't seen much in the manifesto about disability and SEND which is sad. As I read more I hope I see something that appears to strengthen peoples right to seek redress and hold the public sector accountable. I plan to read the other manifestos to see how they compare on key issues.

Sir Keir Starmer

May 28, 2024
fra
I know so many celebrating the Tories are going. As if anything will change. Life always has and always will be a s grind for most people.

Labour go on about taxing private schools which they can only do now outside of the EU as taxing education is against their rules. They're trying to get people fighting with each other.

Labour are doing nothing other than sitting back waiting for the keys.

PepperBell

Apr 6, 2024
Marks & Sparks
Who benefits the most from our private education system? international students or home students? I don't know the stats in this area and the projected amount of money this tax will raise but I doubt it will have a big effect on the finances of the extremely wealthy. I think it may squeeze out the middle class? Labours webpage is the not the most accessible either. I can't find the policy on this.

PepperBell

Apr 6, 2024
Marks & Sparks
I know so many celebrating the Tories are going. As if anything will change. Life always has and always will be a s grind for most people.

Labour go on about taxing private schools which they can only do now outside of the EU as taxing education is against their rules. They're trying to get people fighting with each other.

Labour are doing nothing other than sitting back waiting for the keys.

After 14 hellish years under the Tories, I think many people want some respite from the pressures of austerity, and Labour can offer that, apparently. But I don’t know how Labour can end austerity and still balance the books without increasing taxes, reducing public spending, or borrowing more. and by borrowing more, aren't we just passing debt onto the next generation, who will pay for it under a Conservative government? I think voters should be weary of a Labour government. So far on review of their manifesto on key issues, there is either insufficient detail or no information at all. There is no commitment to reverse some of the policies the Tories introduced while in power, as far as I can tell and we still don't know where Labour stand on some of the Tories proposals in these elections.

Last edited:

PepperBell

Apr 6, 2024
Marks & Sparks
The lead up to these elections has been just as thrilling as this discussion thread so far. I predict a poor voter turnout but all indications point towards a Labour victory, thank god. It's time for the Tories to go.

I skimmed through the Lib Dem manifesto and I liked some of their ideas around care: they want to introduce free personal care based on need and not ability to pay and give 'unpaid carers paid carer’s leave and a statutory guarantee of regular respite breaks'. On health they want to give 'everyone the right to see a GP or the most appropriate practice staff member within seven days, or within 24 hours if they urgently need to'; 'Introduce a universal 24/7 GP booking system'.

Labour also have plans for improving GP availability but the problem isn't just about the availability of GP appointments, but also the quality of the appointment and the rush to get you out of the door within 10 minutes. It wasn't until recently that I realised you can actually ask for a double appointment with your GP instead of the standard 10 minute appointment they give you.

PepperBell

Apr 6, 2024
Marks & Sparks
Voting Election 2020 GIF by LooseKeys

PepperBell

Apr 6, 2024
Marks & Sparks
Results aren’t even in and Rishi has already conceded saying Labour has won this election and he has called Keir Starmer to congratulate him.

PepperBell

Apr 6, 2024
Marks & Sparks
From what I saw during the all night coverage I noticed a consistent trend of low voter turnout in constituencies and REFORM succeeded in undermining the tory vote. They did better than I expected in terms of public vote share. To me, the outcome of these elections show how much the tories are hated more than anything. Despite Labours majority, they only managed to secure 35 percent of the public vote share.