May 22, 2024
London
Ashamed to admit I am one of the stupid

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live
Shall I see myself out??

May 16, 2024
Elsewhere
"
The first Irish emigrants to Jamaica arrived more than 200 years previous to my Jamaican friend’s 1850 ancestors. In 1641, Ireland’s population was 1,466,000 and in 1652, 616,000. According to Sir William Petty, 850,000 were “wasted by the sword, plague, famine, hardship and banishment during the Confederation War 1641-1652.” At the end of the war, vast numbers of Irish men, women and children were forcibly transported by the English government.

In 1655, when England captured Jamaica from Spain, Oliver Cromwell needed to populate their new colony. Some were convicts, many indentured servants and very few of the deportees had committed any great crimes. Deportation “beyond the sea, either within His Majesty’s dominions or elsewhere outside His Majesty’s Dominions” was one of their methods of dealing with the Irish issue and, more importantly, populating England’s new acquisition.

One man whose crime was to harbour a priest was imprisoned, while his three daughters were sent to Jamaica. In order to prevent the new arrivals forming communities the three girls were sent to different corners of Jamaica. Large numbers of the Irish exiles died from heat and diseases.

It was thought that the Irish would have a better chance of survival if they were introduced to the climate at a young age. Cromwell then sent 2,000 children between the age of 10 and 14 years."

Irish Times Article

May 16, 2024
Elsewhere
“Buffalo Soldier, dreadlock Rasta
There was a Buffalo Soldier
In the heart of America
Stolen from Africa, brought to America
Fighting on arrival, fighting for survival”
Bob Marley and the Wailers’ song “Buffalo Soldier” parallels the history of the Buffalo Soldiers and their fight for their personal survival in the American Indian Wars, to the Black resistance in 1978. For quite a long time this reference was one of the most visible mentions of their history. The lyrics are a truncated history of the Black experience in America and an illustration, through Marley’s eyes, of the ways the United States has taken advantage of Black men.

Buffalo Soldier explanation on Teton Science Schools

May 16, 2024
Elsewhere
I just thought it was about war, I didn’t think about the slavery aspect, which is clearly ignorant.
never apologise for unintended ignorance when you're open to education. everyone is ignorant about something, which is why places like this where people can share their knowledge and experience in a respectful way are ❤️.