UK Breaking News & Headlines

Nov 28, 2023
West Yorkshire
Well I'm out in the wild of Harehills, which has been affectionately known as 'Scarehills' locally, and for longer than the 2 years I've lived here!

The police presence is significant, the staff behind the salad counter in Morrisons were singing 'I predict a riot' whilst some more mature members of the community discussed how last night was "nothing compared" to the Bradford riots years ago! I didn't live up here then so couldn't get involved 😤

May 16, 2024
Elsewhere
Well I'm out in the wild of Harehills, which has been affectionately known as 'Scarehills' locally, and for longer than the 2 years I've lived here!

The police presence is significant, the staff behind the salad counter in Morrisons were singing 'I predict a riot' whilst some more mature members of the community discussed how last night was "nothing compared" to the Bradford riots years ago! I didn't live up here then so couldn't get involved 😤
I hope there weren't too many people injured and too many businesses hurt/destroyed by last night's events. I never know why we humans make it a competition when it comes to situations like this - it's actually pretty bizarre.

The Green Party Councillor Mothin Ali is getting the recognition he deserves today I would hope. That man did a lot to stop it continuing further into the night and potentially escalating even further. Respect to him.

1000021336.jpg
COUNCILLOR MOTHIN ALI POURING WATER ON REMNANTS OF BURNING BUS.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023
West Yorkshire
I hope there weren't too many people injured and too many businesses hurt/destroyed by last night's events. I never know why we humans make it a competition when it comes to situations like this - it's actually pretty bizarre.

The Green Party Councillor Mothin Ali is getting the recognition he deserves today I would hope. That man did a lot to stop it continuing further into the night and potentially escalating even further. Respect to him.

1000021336.jpg
COUNCILLOR MOTHIN ALI POURING WATER ON REMNANTS OF BURNING BUS.
Oh he really did a great job, he's incredibly passionate in improving the community 💚
I've honestly never seen as many police as there are out today..Vans and cars are patrolling the whole area, pulling people over (not me thankfully) and as many on foot engaging with people. There's nowhere near this anount of police presence at Leeds West Indian Carnival, which is a huge yearly event.

I'd be very surprised if anything kicks off tonight, despite rumours I heard on lives this morning. I could be wrong though 🤷🏽‍♀️

May 16, 2024
Elsewhere
Oh he really did a great job, he's incredibly passionate in improving the community 💚
I've honestly never seen as many police as there are out today..Vans and cars are patrolling the whole area, pulling people over (not me thankfully) and as many on foot engaging with people. There's nowhere near this anount of police presence at Leeds West Indian Carnival, which is a huge yearly event.

I'd be very surprised if anything kicks off tonight, despite rumours I heard on lives this morning. I could be wrong though 🤷🏽‍♀️
Absolute credit to his community. Bigger cajones than the fools putting fireworks, bins and sofas on the fires. 👏👏👏

I really hope it gets nipped in the bud quickly if any fools have a few too many tinnies and try to kick it off again. Whilst there were a hell of a lot of people watching, it seemed to be the minority causing the destruction. They literally are just sting on their own doorstep.

Nov 28, 2023
West Yorkshire
Absolute credit to his community. Bigger cajones than the fools putting fireworks, bins and sofas on the fires. 👏👏👏

I really hope it gets nipped in the bud quickly if any fools have a few too many tinnies and try to kick it off again. Whilst there were a hell of a lot of people watching, it seemed to be the minority causing the destruction. They literally are just sting on their own doorstep.
That's the worry with it being such a nice day.... it's inevitable the beer will be out somewhere and it only takes one to get the ball rolling.
The damage caused was ridiculous and unjustified in every sense.
I'm off to work in the morning so really hoping for a peaceful night 🤞🏼

PepperBell

Apr 6, 2024
Marks & Sparks
Apparently "round 2" is about to kick off. This guy said when it gets dark things are happening 🤦🏽‍♀️
1000059647.jpg
when I opened Tiktok last night that was the first live stream that came up on my fyp. it had around 17.7k viewers when I joined. it said ''planning round 2 Harehills'' I was horrified reading that

May 16, 2024
Elsewhere
Any updates? I didn't want to watch tonight
From the little I saw on lives it was a peaceful night. A lot of people were on the street again, but no hostilities or rioting. There was also a police presence (yellow hi-vis and blue, but I don't know what the blue means) that appeared to be just officers keeping an eye whilst interacting with people.

PepperBell

Apr 6, 2024
Marks & Sparks
watching a community being treated this way was awful to see. the risk to life was real. My instinct was to do something to stop it quickly.
I kept seeing in the comments 'REFORM'. as if this was a moment to try to politicise the situation.
What also crossed my mind was the time between when the bus was set alight and when it erupted into a huge ball of flames, felt like a long time. what was the police doing? were they watching and waiting? I don't understand the strategy here with homes above shops nearby the bus.

May 16, 2024
Elsewhere
watching a community being treated this way was awful to see. the risk to life was real. My instinct was to do something to stop it quickly.
I kept seeing in the comments 'REFORM'. as if this was a moment to try to politicise the situation.
What also crossed my mind was the time between when the bus was set alight and when it erupted into a huge ball of flames, felt like a long time. what was the police doing? were they watching and waiting? I don't understand the strategy here with homes above shops nearby the bus.
I think the police (or at least whoever was in charge) decided that it was a safer option to let them wear themselves out rather than confront (and potentially exacerbate the tension further). After they initially retreated and then made an attempt at exerting their authority it was met with an increased risk of harm to not only themselves, but to bystanders and children especially. Though the fires were obviously not great, they were kept to the initial locations and the chaos/destruction didn't seem to be focused on any properties, nor did it appear to be spreading out of the initial area. I would think the risk assessment, plus the surveillance from the helicopter(s), meant that remaining at a distance and letting it play out was the safest course for themselves and innocent bystanders.

I imagine there was a lot of local politics, failings, frustration within the community etc that was being played out in front of us. This 'insider knowledge' would also play a big part in why the police chose to fall back and then remain at an appropriate distance.

Just my opinions. I may well be entirely wrong. 🤷🏻‍♂️

PepperBell

Apr 6, 2024
Marks & Sparks
I think the police (or at least whoever was in charge) decided that it was a safer option to let them wear themselves out rather than confront (and potentially exacerbate the tension further). After they initially retreated and then made an attempt at exerting their authority it was met with an increased risk of harm to not only themselves, but to bystanders and children especially. Though the fires were obviously not great, they were kept to the initial locations and the chaos/destruction didn't seem to be focused on any properties, nor did it appear to be spreading out of the initial area. I would think the risk assessment, plus the surveillance from the helicopter(s), meant that remaining at a distance and letting it play out was the safest course for themselves and innocent bystanders.

I imagine there was a lot of local politics, failings, frustration within the community etc that was being played out in front of us. This 'insider knowledge' would also play a big part in why the police chose to fall back and then remain at an appropriate distance.

Just my opinions. I may well be entirely wrong. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I hadn’t considered any of that, but it does make sense! There are probably lots of things they have to consider and on balance watching and waiting may have been the safest thing to do.

May 16, 2024
Elsewhere
1000021382.png

Continued heavy police presence today, but nothing kicking off. 🤞 it remains peaceful. I'm hoping that it will, as I would've expected something last night with it being the night after and a disgustingly hot day (so those inclined would of been in the pubs getting liquored up).