J.K. Rowling

@

@FKASerioJosh

Jfc I’ve just got to work and the dogs screaming, I’m screaming, people don’t know what’s going on and I don’t know why or what’s happening but @jk_rowling follows me and I feel like I’m going to explode.

@

@lynda_coote

R to @jk_rowling: “It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known” Sidney Carton- Tale of Two Cities.

@

@KymOShea1

R to @jk_rowling: “Is not the world sad enough, in genuine earnest, without making a pastime of mock-sorrows?” - House of 7 Gables

@

@RosarybeadJones

R to @jk_rowling: “When he turned his head quickly his hair seemed to shake out light”. -Middlemarch

@

@MartinB00383268

R to @jk_rowling: I always remember this one from Pride & Prejudice... "For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?" 😏

@

@Ankis1988

R to @jk_rowling: “Hey, Boo” To Kill a Mockingbird.

Not exactly for the words themselves, but because I remember the flood of emotion that two very unassuming words could give me when I read them.

@

@SarahJaneOmega

R to @jk_rowling: Would it be considered a spoiler if I put “All was well”?

@

@happyrachy

R to @jk_rowling: "It was a glorious thing, to be given hope, when all had seemed lost"
#LethalWhite ❤️❤️❤️

@

@SarahJaneOmega

R to @jk_rowling: I’m a massive fan of yours. I have been since HP3 came out (that’s when I started reading them.) I must have read them forty times each.

@

@Jakkiell

R to @jk_rowling: “I will try and be what he loves to call me, ‘a little woman’, and not be rough and wild, but do my duty here instead of wanting to be somewhere else.” Little Women. Louisa May Alcott 1868. Jo struggling to fulfill the expectations of society and still having to conform.

@

@RickValens1

R to @jk_rowling: My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

Richard Adams, Watership Down.

@

@Liberalbstard

R to @jk_rowling: ‘Oh s, not again’ Ron Weasley

Ok, it’s not in the book, but you just know he’s thinking it.

@

@QueenMaureenGC

R to @jk_rowling: “The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience”. To Kill A Mockingbird. Loved this since we were assigned it in grade 7. The rare book made into a movie that was just as good.

@

@_Partta_

@jk_rowling Started watching #TroubledBlood even though I know Strike will make fun of my favourite hobby #astrology :( Love u Strike, but please don't 😭😭😭

@

@jk_rowling

Saying lesbians have 'a sensibility at odds with their biological reality' may be the most homophobic and misogynist thing @billybragg's tweeted yet, which is a high bar.

But in answer to your question, Billy:

If a man can be a woman, there's no such thing as a woman.

@

@jk_rowling

R to @toddtempleman: You deserve an honest answer to that question (and thank you for the nice comments). When a man asserts that lesbianism is ‘a sensibility at odds with women’s biological reality’, what does that say about his view of women’s bodies? That the ‘biological reality’ of the female body is dependent on its owner having sex with men? Are we less real, or less female, if men aren’t reaping sexual pleasure from our bodies? That’s profoundly offensive to any woman who hasn’t signed up to the idea that women aren’t definable except by the most regressive stereotypes ever seen outside a Busby Berkley musical. (I suspect, though, that Bragg couldn’t really explain what he was saying. He just thought it sounded clever and pressed send.)

@

@toddtempleman

R to @jk_rowling: This may seem like a quibble, but it's a bit more. While I imagine we agree on few things in politics, I've always found your novels to be apolitical, wonderful, and I read your books aloud to my son and daughter when they were little. Did all the voices. Inadvertently had a campground full of college students rapt with attention one night, but that's another story.

I only bring that up to say I'm not attempting to stir the pot here. I agree what'shisname's statement was obnoxious, probably homophobic, but I have to ask: in what possible sense was it misogynistic? That he didn't take the time to say "To be clear, I'm equally bigoted against male homosexuality..."

Ayn Rand once took the time to explain why she avoided the phrases "In my opinion...", "I could be wrong, but..." etc. While she was admittedly maddening in her total and absolute certainty about everything she believed at all times, she did make the point that human conversation is simply more possible, more clear, and more engaging when avoiding absolutely unnecessary caveats.

I mean even if you weren't an eminent author, it would be obvious you value a certain precision in language. And more than that, we slogged through an era when I was a boy where every phrase a conservative uttered publicly was reflexively labelled "mysoginist." God, I hope we don't have to put up with that again, but even if we do, it'll have more effect if you reserve it for when it obviously applies.

Okay, so maybe it was a quibble. Still, big fan. Sincerely.